Follow Us:


Home FAQ



How do I enrol?

Please refer to our HOW TO APPLY section. Here you will find everything you need to do to enrol with us. You can also get in touch with your education agent to get assistance with the enrolment.

Do I need a visa to come to your school?

In order to come to Australia, you will need an appropriate visa depending on your length or purpose of stay. All visa regulations are set by the Australian Immigration Department and are subject to change. We therefore advise you to verify all information on the Australian Immigration Website or talk to a certified migration agency.

When can I start my course?

When you apply to enrol in FTI, a list of available Intake dates will be provided to you as well as the duration of the course you are applying to. You can choose the starting date that best suits you. After applying, your Letter of Offer will also mention the duration of the course you are applying to, as well as the starting and finishing dates.

Can you recommend an education agency that you work with?

Yes, we work with a number of education agents around the world. Please refer to OUR AGENT section, located on the main menu, for more details.

How long do I need to study for?

Our Business courses have a specified length that students must comply with. You can find more about these specifications in our Courses section, as well as on the Application Form.

For General English, however, you will be able to select how many study weeks you wish to undertake, depending on your aims and study objectives.
For example, to improve your English by one level you should take at least 10 full study weeks of course. Therefore, the length of your English course should be based on the level of proficiency you need to reach.

What is my level of English?

A placement test can be provided to you to find out what your level is. This test will determine if you are:

  • Elementary
  • Pre-Intermediate
  • Intermediate
  • Upper-Intermediate

What is the minimum age for study at FTI?

We are an adult education centre, so our minimum age to enrol is 18.

Can I try your classes before enrolling?

Yes, you can. If you are already in Melbourne, you are more than welcome to come in for a trial class. Please contact us for more information.

School and Course Information


What happens on my first day at FTI?

On your first day there will be an Orientation Meeting for all new students. You will learn important information about studying at FTI and life in Melbourne. You will also get a chance to meet the other new students that have just started with you at the school.

Which documents do I need to bring on my first day?

Apart from pen and paper, all you need to bring is your passport.

How easily can the school be reached by transportation?

Our school is located right in the heart of Melbourne and you can easily get here by public transport. We are based on 131 Queen Street, which is close to the corner of Bourke Street. There are tram lines on both Bourke Street and Collins Street, as well as several bus routes on Queen Street. In addition, Flinders Street Station and Melbourne Central are about 7 minutes walking distance.

Will I be able to use the Internet at the school?

Yes, we have student computers that you can use in the student lounge as well as in a second study area. In addition we have free wi-fi available for our students.

Life in Melbourne


What is the weather like in Melbourne?

Melbourne enjoys a moderate oceanic climate with 4 distinctive seasons – mild springs and autumns, hot summers and cool winters. Spring is from September to November, summer from December to February, autumn March to May and winter June to August, with June and July being the coldest months. January and February are usually the hottest months with temperatures sometimes peaking at 40°.

Melbourne has a reputation as a rainy city, which is statistically unfounded because Melbourne receives only 50 per cent of the average rainfall of Brisbane or Sydney.

Can I work while I am in Australia studying at FTI?

This depends on your visa. If you are in Australia on a Tourist Visa, you are not allowed to work.

On a Student Visa you are entitled to work 20 hours per week. A Working Holiday Visa allows you to work a maximum of 6 months for one employer in Australia.
For more information and current updates please visit the Australian Immigration Department Website

What is the time difference?

Melbourne’s time zone is Australian Eastern Standard Time, which is GMT +10. From October to April there is an additional hour due to the Daylight Saving Time.

Need help?

Call +61 (03) 9688 8029

Or request a call back from one of our FTI team members.